Monday, June 4, 2012

Olympic Gymnast Shawn Johnson Announces Retirement

Shawn Johnson
Shawn Johnson
Shawn Johnson won our hearts in the Beijing Olympics, when she competed an d took home one gold and three silver medals. Now, the 20-year old has confirmed that she will not pursue a spot on the London Olympic team and she has decided to retire from the the sport she has dedicated her young life to.
“This is a really hard moment,” Johnson said Sunday from her home in Des Moines, Iowa. “I still have the heart, drive and desire to compete. Unfortunately my road has been cut a little short.”
Johnson had torn both her ACL an MCL and knew that the rigorous training demands for the upcoming Olympic games would simply be too much. “It’s been a constant fight. It came down to there wasn’t enough time left to heal,” Johnson said. “I couldn’t push myself any further. My knee physically wouldn’t let me do anymore.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...